Monday, September 22, 2008

A shocking but not so shocking comment

Reading news on the internet has been my one of my long-time habit. I enjoy getting information from many different sources under a mouse click. It shocks me to learn that the newly awarded Nobel Prize winner Doris Lessing thinks otherwise. She concluded the internet seduced a generation and people "know nothing of the world, to have read nothing, knowing only some speciality or other" from computer. In my opinion, the internet is the most convenient way for updating your knowledge. Born in the communist environment, I appreciate greatly the educational aspect of the internet. After the Vietnam war, there is a huge resistance of Westernism. Before we reach our current level of information tolerance, I used to rely solely on the internet. Because of online knowledge, I learned so much about other parts of the world. Therefore, I could not comprehend at first the cause of Ms. Lessing's outrageously ignorant comment. As a Nobel award winner, she sounded very disconnected from reality. The Internet has certainly changed how people see the world in the last few decades. It might be not as important in her time but no one can deny its impact. I think her comment is a defense mechanism of older generation not being able to keep up with today technology. And this is nothing new. Therefore, it is a shocking but not so shocking comment.

No comments: