Monday, September 8, 2008

Is joining a virtual world worthy?

I read about virtual world the other day and I think its an awesome way for social networking. I have not tried out any of the systems myself but I am curious about joining "Second life". In the stressful reality world, I sometime have problem meeting other people. In a virtual world, I would be able to meet "fresh" people that are not in my circle or people I probably would never talk to in real life. Therefore, it could be a new way for me to entertain myself and socialize. Sounds awesome! However, I wonder if such an interesting world is time worthy. Online meeting can be very time-consuming and probably will not leave any actual friendships. Unlike social networking websites such as Myspace, virtual world systems let me create my own avatar and control the way I am perceived. As interesting as it sounds, I might not want to actually meet these "friends" in real life because we might not connect as well as we are online. Therefore, participating in a virtual world might just waste my time and internet bill. Another worry of mine is the potential privacy nightmare that an online system might face. Although these virtual worlds claim to be private, there still might be ways to track down users such as through their IP address. Therefore, a virtual world can leave room for stalkers or criminal acts. I think company needs to figure out a way to improve this problem and prove me that they are worthy. Otherwise, virtual world might just not worth to join

4 comments:

Song said...

You've got a keen observation more than me! I agree with your opinion about defects of taking enjoyment in the virtual world. I couldn't think about time-consuming problems before, and now I know your argument has a good point. I had a good time while reading your peace of writing. :)

Unknown said...

hey, I had nice time while I read your writing. I do agree with your idea that online meeting is just time consuming. We cannot build up sincere relationship with people. Face to face is totally different from meeting online except for the case that friends are far away from us. Well in this case meeting online is essential but I generally prefer to talk in face to face.

Anonymous said...

hey,I agree with your opinion. I also think virtual life is time consuming so I don't like to enjoy the wirtual life. However, thesedays the virtual life like Second Life is a giid way to extend business marketing. It's a problem how people use this program.

yksorchid said...

hey,I agree with your opinion. I also think virtual life is time consuming so I don't like to enjoy the wirtual life. However, thesedays the virtual life like Second Life is a giid way to extend business marketing. It's a problem how people use this program.

(sorry,can you erase my wrong comment? it's same comment!)