Monday, November 3, 2008

Crew member who?

Every time I read an article about teamwork, it always talks about how to manage a team/work with your team members effectively. I have never worked in a corporate job before so I assume that in a company, a crew will get picked out by the manager or human resources. Therefore, it has never come up to me that I will be involved in the process of picking my own crew members and I should find the best way to do that.

In this article, Mindofahustler.com emphasizes the understanding of different types of crew members : the Leader, the Brain, the Anchor and the Soldier aka people that I will have to look for to complete the crew. I think the article brings a wonderful insight of dividing roles in a team. However, it does not help solve the problem of work distribution.

Yes, we all know that it will take many steps to prepare and get the work done and these steps will be connected with every team members.However the work a member did is not always clear such as the leader and the brain. Due to this, work distribution can tarnish the trust between team members.

If I have the choice to pick out my own team, I'd rather pick out those 4 different types of team members and put those with similar specialty. Then I will assign them only one step of the work and let each little team finish their work before putting everything together. In order to diminish problem of distribution, we should not let these different types of members interact too much so they can focus on their own work and stop arguing about problem of work distribution.

No comments: